Monday, October 24, 2011

Diamondback by Omar Ortez


Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Vitola: Corona
Length: 5 ½ inches
Ring Gage: 44
Strength: Mild to Medium

Traditionally this is not the type of cigar I gravitate to.  This cigar does have a sugared tip – which I am not a fan of.  So I did try and be as impartial as I could to that fact while smoking this cigar!

This is a new cigar from Altidas blended by Omar Ortez.  The price point on this cigar is very reasonable.  I would equate this – just to make it clear to everyone – like a Baccarat.

This cigar does have a nice looking golden brown wrapper.  It was somewhat spongy to the touch but otherwise appeared to have good construction.  The draw was good – a little too loose for my liking but it really didn’t hinder the overall smoking experience.  The burn started out even but as I smoked it got jagged.  Again not enough to impede the smoking experience but it did happen.  I do have to admit though the ash was a gorgeous dark grey color and stayed on the cigar well through the half way point.

I would call this a complex cigar.  I picked up on earthy and nutty notes.  This cigar was creamy and smooth, and of course sweet (thanks to the sugared tip!).  After about an inch I did notice a slight bitterness, I actually didn’t mind it at all.

To try and give this as fair a review as I can I would say this is a good cigar.  The price is right and Omar Ortez is a fantastic blender in his own right.  This is not something I would smoke on a consistent basis due to the sugared tip but if your tastes sway that way this is definitely one to try!!

If you would like to purchase this cigar please visit www.topqualitycigars.com!!!!

Posted by Michele 

No comments: