Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My Father Limited Edition 2012 Cigar



Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Factory: My Father S.A.
Size: 6 ½” x 52
Vitola: Toro
Wrapper: Pelo de Oro
Binder: Cuban seed grown in Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaraguan
Box Quantity: 12 Cigars in each box
Production:  Limited production only 3500 were made worldwide
Pairing with: Grahams 2003 Vintage Porto

When I looked at the box for the LE 2012 I knew I was in for something special. A difference in color from the 2011, but this has a more elegant look and feel to it. I have seen many ornate boxes which when I smoked the cigar, I wished I had smoked the box instead. 
I opened the box with guarded anticipation. Could this truly live up to what I had enjoyed in the LE 2011?
I removed the first cigar, took it out of the cello wrapper, felt a perfectly filled cigar, no soft spots, perfect triple cap with a flawless chocolate brown color all of which strangely reminded me of my first love.

This double banded cigar was another work of art from the Pepin family.

I must say it took me about 15 minutes of enjoying the fragrance of this cigar. I was almost afraid to light it; I was so enamored by its beauty and the fragrance of aged tobacco. Would it live up to my expectations? Some people watching me told me to get a room. I chose to smoke it instead.

I used a straight cut to get the full draw from the circumference. Using wooden matches, I intentionally lit only a portion of the foot to test the quality of construction. I learned long ago that if a cigar is properly made even if you light half of the foot, it would catch up. It did within minutes.
Almost immediately, the taste filled my mouth and tantalized my senses. Starting out medium strength with sweet, peppery tones as is common with a Pepin,  I knew I was in for something special.
By the time I had to remove the first band, I was plotting how to get my hands on more of these.
The taste picked up quite a bit at this point transforming from a medium to a more full bodied smoke as I had hoped for.
The ash was a beautiful medium gray color with an even burn. I intentionally didn’t ash the cigar until about an inch into it, when I did, it was by my choice, not the cigars.  
The draw was effortless, consistent and perfect.

As I am coming to the end of the My Father LE 2012 the burn is still perfect, the ash is consistent, the taste has more spiciness than the first third and those around me are commenting on the beautiful aroma’s coming from this cigar. I am almost burning my fingers to get the last bit of taste from this magnificent creation, but all good things must eventually end.

Total smoking time around 1½ hours.

Final thoughts: I was anxious to try this cigar to see if it could live up to the My Father L.E.2011, it did and more. Consistent, smooth and flavorful.

This cigar is destined to become one of the most sought after cigars of the year. A true collector’s item for the most discerning aficionado which will get better with age.

This is a Limited Edition so if you can get some, get them quick I know I will. They will be gone once people get the chance as I have to smoke a truly incredible cigar.

Overall rating: 97

This is only my opinion and your experience with a cigar will be based on when you smoke it, where you smoke it, what you drink with it or what you have eaten.

Form your own opinion and I am always available to answer any questions or address any comments.
These cigars can be purchased at www.TopQualityCigars.com

Posted by Cuban Rob

No comments: