Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Perdomo 20th Anniversary 2012 Release



Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Factory: Tabacalera Perdomo
Size: 6' x 60
Vitola: Gordo (Maravillas No.3)
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Box Quantity: 24 Cigars in each box
Production: 20th Anniversary
Pairing with: Not Paired


When you see this non cello cigar in a newly opened box, all you can say is “Wow”. This is an impressive and gorgeous looking cigar. Right after I opened the box, I had two people come to me asking for them. The band is the classic Perdomo logo along with the words “20th Anniversary” proudly displayed on the bottom portion of the band.

I am a big fan of Sun Grown wrapper leaf, this one has been aged for six years and then an additional year in a Bourbon Barrel before being wrapped around the Nicaraguan filler and binder. An inviting medium brown color with just a slight hint of oiliness gives this cigar wonderful curb appeal. Not quite box pressed yet not perfectly round. Removing one from the box, I noticed several very visible veins that I could live with, but was disappointed to see in an Anniversary edition. The cap was also a little disappointing as it was not applied evenly on several of the cigars I inspected. This cigar was filled to perfection with no soft spots anywhere on all the cigars I inspected.

I chose a standard straight cut and used a triple torch to light this beauty because of the girth. The unlit draw gave me some leathery tones along with a mild spiciness.
It was a little hard igniting but once it got going I didn’t have a problem, be patient.
About an inch into it, I noticed a slightly uneven burn. I am still picking up a leathery taste and so far nothing else. Thus far I would classify this as medium bodied.  Not much aroma other than tobacco. The medium grey colored ash fell off itself about an inch into it.
The second third of the cigar gives me no different taste other than a little stronger tobacco flavor from some additional Ligero, but this is still a medium bodied cigar. At this point, the burn has evened up and the ash is holding at about an inch.
As I am starting the final third of this cigar, I am a little disappointed that I haven’t experienced a little more complexity in an Anniversary edition. No difference in taste at this point, so I guess you can say it was consistent throughout.
Total smoking time was about 1 ¼ hours.

Final Thoughts: Great first impression when you open the box. A wonderful medium bodied cigar with mostly a tobacco taste and light leathery tones throughout. This is not a bad thing, I have never tasted roasted chestnuts or black currant other than when I am eating. However I was hoping for more with a 20th Anniversary Edition. I would still smoke this cigar, but would not be my choice after a great steak dinner.


Overall rating: 88

This is only my opinion and your experience with a cigar will be based on when you smoke it, where you smoke it, what you drink with it or what you have eaten.

Form your own opinion and I am always available to answer any questions or address any comments.

This cigar is available at www.TopQualityCigars.com 

Posted by Cuban Rob 

No comments: