Saturday, January 26, 2013

Davidoff Limited Edition 2009 Seleccion 702 Toro Especial



Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
Factory: Davidoff of Geneva
Size: 6 5/8" x 48
Vitola: Toro Especial
Wrapper: Special Ecuadorian Hybrid Sun Grown 702
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Piloto, Olor, San Vincente
Box Quantity: 10

When I woke this morning the first thing on my mind was, “What will be my first cigar today”? 

I sipped on a café con leche still pondering that question which many of us have when thinking about the first cigar of the day.

This question is even more difficult for me when you consider that I frequent what is one of the finest Cigar stores in the United States, Casa De Montecristo, who’s selection is second to none. When arriving at their sister store, 8-8 Cigars, I walked into the inner sanctum, the Vintage room. Here the owners keep a vast selection of rare and aged cigars. (See Photo below).

While considering what would set the tone for the day, looking through aged My Father LE’s, La Aurora 100 anõs, Fuente Lost City, the cigar reached out and grabbed me. There it was tucked away in the Davidoff section. The Davidoff, Seleccion 702 L.E. 2009.

These rare beauties have been almost non existent since 2009 when whoever was lucky enough to smoke one snapped them up quicker than a Chicago politician takes a bribe.

I opened the white outer box to find a beautiful wooden box decorated with the Davidoff Logo, Limited Edition 2009 and Toro Especial, Seleccion 702 printed on top. I was excited beyond belief to have another opportunity to enjoy this incredible cigar but now with 3 years of age.


I opened the box and was amazed at what I saw. The wrapper looked a shade darker than I remembered and so inviting, yet I couldn’t help but continue to admire the way the cigars looked at me, beckoning me to reach out to them. I didn’t want to disappoint them, so I did.

I removed the cigar from its cello sleeve and inspected a flawless medium brown colored wrapper.  A typical “Davidoff “ band laid above a second band proudly proclaiming, “Seleccion 702”. I noticed a beautiful woodsy, cedar fragrance emanating from it almost immediately.

This cigar was flawless, the wrapper was a work of art, the cigar was filled perfectly from the head to the foot.

I cut the cigar with a V cut and gently warmed the foot with a match. When I finally lit the cigar, the taste hit my pallet with the first draw, I knew that I chose wisely.

I sat back with a second cup of coffee and waited.

Not a typical Davidoff, this cigar has a peppery, spiciness from the very first draw. Tones of cedar were evident also as I got into this wonderful stick. You can taste what the aging has done as you hit the first third. The cedar flavor and aroma is very evident at this point which is a bonus from the 3 years of age.

If it wasn’t so early in the day, I would love to experience this cigar with a Vintage Port. I can only guess how those two would pair and make an even greater smoking experience.

About half way through and I don’t detect much difference in the taste. Still pepper, cedar and

spice. Incredibly consistent and flavorful. Perfect burn The ash is medium gray and holds the cigar until you decide you don’t want to take a chance of soiling your shirt.

I am at the point where I have to remove the second band and thinking about another one to try with a port.

I am coming to the part of the cigar I hate, The End. Of course, this only applies to a cigar I thoroughly enjoy. This is it. I have already removed the final band and can say without any doubt, this is one of the finest cigars I have had the pleasure of smoking in a very long time. Even at the end, there is no harshness or bitterness. Smooth, creamy and flavorful.

My best recommendation is that this cigar is at its peak.

Get some, smoke them and get ready for one of the best smoking experiences of your life.love.

Total smoking time around 1hour.


This is only my opinion and your experience with a cigar will be based on when you smoke it, where you smoke it, what you drink with it or what you have eaten.

Form your own opinion and I am always available to answer any questions or address any comments.

This cigar is available at www.TopQualityCigars.com

Posted by Cuban Rob

No comments: